Translate

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

MILITARY DOGS AND PTSD

OK, canine military having to deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a topic that never crossed my mind but it stands to reason. Animals have feelings and emotions so why wouldn't they be affected by their military experiences like their human comrades-in-arms?

A short MSN article alerted me to this issue (http://now.msn.com/dogs-are-returning-home-from-war-with-ptsd) and the online New York Times printed and in-depth article addressing the same issue (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/us/more-military-dogs-show-signs-of-combat-stress.html?hp).

Rather than rehash the information here, read the links to understand this emerging canine condition. Curiously, I've known about PTSD in dogs for decades. More than 20 years ago, my dog Buster suffered from this condition. In his case, it was triggered by my Dad's hospitalization for emergency ulcer surgery.

In closing I will mention an item from each article:

  • Canine PTSD will most likely lead to a better understanding of  Human PTSD.
  • Management of the condition will be key since dogs never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment