Translate

Sunday, October 28, 2012

PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE SANDY

With the approach of Hurricane Sandy imminent, most of the Eastern seaboard is gearing up to either evacuate or ride it out.

My furry charges don't have any choice but to weather the storm outside. It's very upsetting to me to know they will be at the mercy of the elements but I have done what I could for them. Silver Grey and her baby were waiting for me this morning so I served an extra-large meal mixed with water for them just before noon. They left a few nuggets untouched. At least I know they have a good meal in them in case I can't put anything out tomorrow. If the rain doesn't start by sundown, I will serve another meal before the storm breaks.

The front porch gang is another story. Very rarely will any of them come around during the day; my guess is because my block is very busy and they are afraid of people. I will put an oversized food-mixed-with-water meal out front the same time I serve the second meal to Mom and baby. In the interim, I brought in all empty food and water dishes. I removed the lid from my compost bin securing it under my back porch steps along with the trash can we use to bag weeds. I checked the front porch bringing in two empty flower pots along with the dishes. I tied the cat shelter to the wrought iron fence and made sure our wicker love seat was still anchored tightly to the fence.

After doing all this, I found the following email from Neighborhood Cats. I'm sure they won't mind my posting it here. It's very good practical advice on how to manage a colony in the event of a storm. Good information for anyone taking care of one or many outdoor cats that cannot be brought inside.

 Hurricane Sandy
Hurricane Preparation
As Hurricane Sandy - aka "Frankenstorm" - bears down on the East Coast, here are some things you can do to protect your colonies:
  • Raise shelters and feeding stations to keep them dry. Wooden shipping pallets, available at some lumber yards, are ideal for this purpose.
  • Shelters and feeding stations in areas that may flood should be moved to higher ground.
  • Tie shelters and feeders to permanent structures (like a fence) to anchor them, or wedge tightly into a secure space.
  • Be careful about placing heavy objects on top of shelters to keep them in place as these may pose a danger in high winds.
  • To keep rain from driving in, position shelters so openings face a wall, or the entrances of two shelters face one another, no more than a foot apart.
  • Leave a supply of extra food while the weather remains calm, in case you're not able to return for a few days.
  • If your feeding stations aren't enclosed, you can place a bowl of dry food in a plastic container in a corner of the cats' shelter. This also allows the cats easy access to food during the storm. Do NOT put water in the shelter.
  • Compile a list of the cats in your colony including descriptions and photos. After the storm, if any cats have been displaced this information may help locate them.
  • Use caution when returning to the colony site. Branches and other falling debris are dangerous and may continue to drop for several days after the hurricane.

No comments:

Post a Comment