Translate

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A STROLL DOWN BROADWAY'S MEMORY LANE

Lest any of my readers begin to think of me as a total homebody or obsessed animal lady I do want to state that I have many and varied other interests and Saturday evening was spent indulging one of them.

I have been a passionate theatre-goer since I was seventeen years old and that passion has yet to dim. Anything Shakespeare, classic playwrights such as Arthur Miller, Tennesse Williams, performers synonymous with Broadway (Frank Langella, Al Pacino, Boyd Gaines, Rosemary Harris, Cherry Jones), comedies and muscials - I'm forever on the lookout for the next great experience.

And Town Hall on Saturday night was not only the next great experience but a wonderful walk down memory lane. Linda Eder (that's pronounced Edd-er) performed in concert with guest stars and former Jekyll & Hyde cast-mates Robert Cuccioli and Christiane Noll.

While I never qualified as a 'Jekkie', Jekyll & Hyde is one of my favorite shows. Blown away by the music and the vocal talents of the 3 principles, I did see it several times during it's original Broadway run. Artie and I took a break from our usual weekend routine to have dinner out and attend the performance.

The show was marvelous. Linda Eder, Robert Cuccioli and Christiane Noll were all in fine voice. Linda Eder's song list covered a wide range of musical styles from Willie Nelson's classic country-western song Crazy to rock and pop to the academy award winning movie theme Over The Rainbow from The Wizard of Oz. The highlight of the evening was the weaving of all the major Jekyll & Hyde songs throughout the entire show. Linda structured the songlist to include each performer singing their Jekyll & Hyde signature song individually as well as a guest-star duet and in duet with her. As a selection for all 3 to sing together, Linda chose a number from an upcoming Frank Wildhorn show about Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald.

And Linda mentioned Pets Alive a no-kill shelter which is dear to her heart. Pets Alive is located in the Catskills about an hour and a half out of New York City. Learn more about this no kill shelter by checking out their website:

Unfortunately, no picture-taking was allowed but I did find a review with a photo from the show and a video someone posted on YouTube so enjoy. Artie and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment