Translate

Saturday, July 4, 2015

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Today Artie will bring home 'dinner' from Nathan's Famous - Philly Chicken Cheese Steak heroes, Fish 'n Chips platters and of course, Nathan's hot dogs with the 'works' - I don't want to cook for this holiday.

Annie is doing much better but isn't completely out of the woods yet so it is my intention to spend the day with her, Orphée and Handsome who is becoming acclimated to other animals because of the time he is spending with mine. I also have Belle, a stray Calico who has taken up residence on my back porch. She keeps me company when I'm outside unless Annie is with me then Belle will retreat to a neighboring yard until Annie goes in.

Besides indulging in Nathan's all-American fare, I keep checking TV and the internet for any news on Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Why you might wonder would someone who doesn't eat beef, veal or lamb be interested in a hot dog eating contest? Well, there's a very simple explanation. I'm born and bred in Brooklyn. Coney Island, Nathan's, the hot dog eating contest along with the amusements and rides are a big part of growing up here. So I'm hoping Joey Chestnut will successfully defend his championship with his ninth win. Joey's a native Californian but he has a Brooklyn sensibility so I have a soft spot in my heart for Joey. The women's event already happened at 11 AM; Miki Sudo of Las Vegas won. I was hoping Sonya "Black Widow" Thomas of Alexandria, Virginia would regain the Mustard Belt but it wasn't to be.

Some patriotic music is in order so I will play John Philip Sousa, Aaron Copeland and anything John Williams then tonight we will watch the Macy's Fireworks Display and A Capital Fourth.

So, Happy Independence Day to all!

Happy Independence Day now put on Nathan's Hot Dog
Eating Contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment