Translate

Sunday, September 8, 2013

COLLARING ANNIE: A DIY TALE

Kids are tough on their possessions, right? Furry kids are no exception to that rule and Annie definitely proves beyond a shadow of a doubt the truth of that statement. Many years ago when Annie was just an adolescent, I crafted a beautiful charm from a gold stone. The stone was in the shape of a heart and it hung from her collar along with her license and vaccination tags.

Annie loves to run the length of our back porch, barking at cats, barking at squirrels generally just running to check out any noise. But it's not enough to run. She has to squeeze her head between the wrought iron bars. There's just enough room for her head not to get stuck but it means pushing her ears through and pulling them out. I really don't know how she did it but she managed to break the heavy metal wire connecting the charm to the ring on her collar.

It broke, I fixed it. It broke again, I fixed it. It broke yet again, I gave up.

Annie is the proud owner of a really nice heavy duty leather and fabric collar. Black with gold designs, it matched her fur and her eyes or it did. Again, I don't know how, but Annie has managed to beat the life out of this collar. The fabric is all worn away from the heavy duty body of the collar and the leather is stretched out! Sometimes, after she pulls it through the fence it becomes undone and falls off her neck.

So now it's past time for a new collar. I'm toying with the idea of making one. I'm off to gather the necessary materials I have squirreled away so I can begin my DIY project.

Annie's old beat-up collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment