Translate

Sunday, January 25, 2015

THE WELCOME MAT

We had an outdoor mat to prevent anyone from tracking dirt and grime into our house. That poor old mat was retired after many years of use. In its retirement, a trimmed down version catches bits of straw as a welcome mat in front of our cat shelter.

I'd been putting off purchasing a new one mainly because I couldn't make up my mind what exactly to buy. Artie solved that problem by coming home one day with a new front door mat. When I saw it I had to smile it was so appropriate. Made of coir it has a terrific saying emblazoned on it. For those of you who don't know what coir is wisegeek.com describes it as: Coir is a product of the coconut tree, Cocos nucifera, and it is sometimes known as coco fiber. The substance is extracted from the hairy husk of coconuts, and used to create a variety of products such as mats, carpets, upholstery stuffing, and brushes. Coir, pronounced KOY-er, is a very coarse, stiff fiber, and it is also extremely resistant to rot and salt water, making it an ideal material for situations in which other fibers would decay.

How do you like our mat?


When spring comes my next project is to clean and paint the front door step after we have the porch itself resurfaced and a new fence complete with gate installed. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment