Translate

Monday, March 19, 2012

BUDDY'S FAILING CONDITION

We're seeing a definite decline in Buddy's condition.  He's doing goofy things like passing up his water dish but going into the kitchen sink or the bathtub to lick up water.  He won't drink out of his bowl unless we hold it up to his face.  Once it's placed on the counter, he ignores it.  We've folded up 2 towels to place underneath the bowl.  With it raised, he's drinking from it - sometimes.

At least his appetite is good.  He's eaten at least 6 ounces of food a day for the past few days.  Generally, he eats less.  Still, it's been a struggle to get him to focus on the food. Buddy asks to eat but becomes picky.  Now he's back to eating Wiskas Pouch food; I'm reluctant to give it to him but he wants it.  Anything to keep him eating.

Today he gave me a few kisses.  Yesterday, I couldn't coax a single one out of him.  He is also sleeping more than usual and very deeply.  Twice I found him fast asleep on my kitchen counter with his head hanging in the sink.  Picking up his head didn't even cause him to wake up.  At first, I thought he died until I saw his chest going up and down.

Doctor Young and I have been emailing about all of this, discussing possible reasons for what is happening and whether or not there is a medical solution.  One of the possible reasons we discussed was blindness.  Dr. Young explained to me renal failure can cause hypertension which in turn can cause the retinas to detach causing blindness.  She asked us to perform a simple test.  When it's dark, shine a light in Buddy's eyes to determine if his pupils contract.  If they do, fine.  If not, he's blind.  My brother and I did this and thankfully, Buddy's not blind.  So now we're back to square one.  What's happening to Buddy?  It looks like we will definitely pay a visit to Hope Veterinary Clinic this week.  Blood work will probably tell us what's going on.  I'm afraid we don't have many options open to us now in terms of treatment.

Annie's not eating - she's upset and depressed because we're spending an inordinate amount of time caring for Buddy.  She doesn't understand - all she knows is he's getting special treatment and she isn't.  I wish there was some way I could make her understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment