Translate

Sunday, July 14, 2013

2013 BROADWAY BARKS

Broadway Barks 2013 was a bit of a bust for me this year but more than likely a great success for the rescue animals.

There were throngs of people; a virtual sea of humanity crowing into tiny Schubert Alley. Combined with the hot, humid weather it was a bit more than I could tolerate. However, I did make the rounds - twice. The roster of rescue groups was as follows: 

ASPCA
Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue
Adopt a Boxer Rescue
AC&C of NYC
Animal Haven
Anjellicle Cats Rescue
Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons
BARC
Bideawee
Bobbi &the Strays
City Critters
Humane Society of NY
Husky House
KittyKind
Loving Touch Animal Center
Manhattan Valley Cat Rescue
Metropolitan Maltese Rescue
Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League
NY Pet-I-Care
Pet ResQ
P.L.U.T.O.
Russell Refuge
SaveKitty Foundation
Sean Casey Animal Rescue 
Stray from the Heart
Tigger Foundation
Urban Cat League

In addition, Broadway Barks, SPCA International and Stella & Chewy's had tables. It wouldn't be Broadway Barks without stopping to visit my friends at City Critters who do a terrific job of helping Manhattan cats find permanent homes. A quick stop at the Stella & Chewy's table to talk with a representative about their product and pick up some free samples and a final stop at SPCA International to speak with the ladies about their organization's mission.

The event started at 3 PM; my arrival was closer to 4 and a solid crowd was already firmly entrenched at the stage awaiting the arrival of Bernadette Peters, Mary Tyler Moore and the start of the auction. As hard as I tried I just could not get close enough to the stage to get any decent photos. With and without the zoom my photos are either a sea of bodies or all heads.

Bernadette Peters & Harvey Fierstein start the auction. (Trust me, it's them.)


Bernadette Peters and Harvey Fierstein started the auction and by the time Artie arrived we decided since we just could not see what was going on it was better to leave. I made my second round of the tables with Artie, stopped one more time at City Critters and departed.

Broadway Barks did very well I'm sure in terms of raising money and finding homes. That's great but I'm hoping for better weather for Broadway Barks 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment