Translate

Sunday, June 17, 2012

RAW FOOD - THE REAL THING CONT'D


As I said, I'm not comfortable with raw feeding but I'll try it. My issues? I worry about Salmonella although all the literature says the processing of raw food and proper handling make it safe. My biggest worry? BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) or as it is commonly known, Mad Cow Disease. Since the outbreak in Europe during the late 80s, I have not eaten beef at all and have given it to Annie only recently and rarely to vary her diet.

This is my own personal preference since I don't trust what the 'experts' say about the safety of our food chain. For that matter, I abstain from all forms of meat as much as I possibly can to forgo the effects of antibiotics. I abstain from organic meat for the health of my wallet. Sorry to be so blunt but the reality is 'organic' anything isn't affordable for many of us. That's why I'm considering going back to gardening but that's another garden path to go down at another time.

Annie gets at least one meal a week that contains eggs and cheese then another meal which is vegetables, grains and lentils. For some reason, Annie likes lentils. It gives her a break from chicken, pork, beef and fish.  Pork is an occasional dish and so is fish. I will give Annie salmon - wild caught or canned; very rarely I will give her tuna.

So far, I've been feeding Annie Stella and Chewy's Freeze-dried Raw Chicken Patties along with a variety of vegetables, fruits, grains, healthy powder, apple cider vinegar, oil and Perio-Support. She'd anticipating her meals, eating well and thriving.

The next step is to introduce Primal bones to support dental health. And of course I need to follow-up with the doctor concerning a regular diet that's a mix of raw and cooked meats. For now I intend to maintain Annie on a mix of raw and cooked meat in her diet.  


No comments:

Post a Comment