Translate

Saturday, June 9, 2012

MY WORLD OF DOGS

Recently, I spent some time thinking about all the dogs I've shared my life with and there have been plenty. As I mentioned before, George Carlin said "Life is a series of dogs." Ain't that the truth!

It occurred to me that as a woman, I gravitate towards 'guy dogs'. By that I mean the working and sporting breeds. As I've grown, our canine family members consisted of one Beagle, a pedigree named Contessa; a purebred Boxer named Tippy; Baron, a Beagle/Manchester Terrier mix (he belonged to my brother, Artie); a German Shepherd/Labrador/Doberman mix we called Buster, Roger, a Shepherd/Doberman mix and my sweet little Annie, a Beagle mix.

Some of our dogs lived a long time like Baron, our Beagle/Manchester mix who lived to be 14 years old. Others, not so long, like our Shepherd/Lab/Dobie mix Buster who was diagnosed with Lymphoma and died just short of 5 years of age. The genders have been split right down the middle with the Beagle, Beagle mix and Boxer being females and the Beagle/Manchester Terrier and the two Shepherd mixes males.

I love all dogs but if offered the choice between a Beagle or a Poodle, I'd take the Beagle. I love Dalmatians, Cairn Terriers and Jack Russell Terriers. If given a choice between a Standard, Miniature or Toy Poodle, I'd take the Standard. And I love Am Staffs because I know how great, affectionate and loving Pit Bulls can be. My breed choices are just my personal preference.

Because of the irresponsibility of a percentage of owners, I am very vary of any dog not my own no matter the size and I will be very cautious interacting with someone else's dog, giving them time to get to know me as we establish an acquaintanceship.

Of course, I can't pass any dog on the street no matter what the breed without a side-ward glance and a smile. Ultimately, if I could I would adopt them all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment