Translate

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

THE END OF SUMMER

We are heavily into fall 2015 and with Halloween fast approaching, winter and the holiday season aren't very far behind.

The other day I decided to survey the back yard; we started preparing for winter but by no means have we finished and as I continued my visual assessment, my gaze fell upon a wild Rose of Sharon bush that sprang up on its own a few years ago.

The 'bush' is now 7 or 8 feet high, done flowering for this year as I suspect the weather has turned too cool signalling the start of the dormant period. It brought a smile to my face to recall the beautiful white, pink and mauve flowers of summer and the bees busily gathering pollen from them.

Bees are precious commodities. We need to do whatever we can to help them thrive so remember them over the winter especially when you start to plan for your outdoor gardens. Don't use pesticide, don't intentionally kill any bees and make room in your gardens for flowers that attract bees.

I have to trim back our Rose of Sharon to prevent it from growing out of control but I will make sure there will be plenty of branches left to bud beautiful flowers for the bees come summer. YouTube has some great videos on pruning I found particularly helpful.

Maybe I'll plant a few sunflowers next spring for the bees to enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment