Translate

Thursday, June 12, 2014

WHO ARE YOU? DOGGIE DNA

This story certainly deserves mentioning; if someone were pitching it to a movie company they'd describe it as CSI meets dog poop.

The city of Naples, Italy is using forensics to collar recalcitrant dog owners to ticket them for not picking up after their pooches by identifying them through DNA testing. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think of using doggie DNA to go after an owner who caused a sidewalk mess by not picking up after their pet and believe me, living in New York, I've stepped in a whole lotta dog poop! What New Yorker hasn't?

The Isle of Capri already has a successful program in place. Germany is discussing implementation of a similar program. There is a company here in the states called PooPrints offering this service to communities and apartment complexes. Even the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine in California is testing poop at their Veterinary Genetics laboratory.

Well I guess the old sobriquet "That wasn't my dog" won't hold up anymore. Amazing what science can come up with. And I just can't seem to get the image of Gil Grissom testing dog poop out of my mind... 

CSI Logo.png
                                                                       Image courtesy of  Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment