Translate

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

SPRING TIME & BUGS

It's that time of year again; time to do battle against the scourge of pets - fleas. After Annie recovers from her dental surgery she will be given a nice bath and I will put her topical flea medication between her shoulder blades.

Orphée will be given a dry bath after I research natural dry shampoo ingredients and his topical medicine will be applied.  I know in the past I've spoken against using such medicines but my commitment to caring for a feral colony has caused me to rethink my methods of combating fleas.  In short, my household became a war zone with constant re-infestation. 

The ferals use the porch for food, drink, shelter and lounging the end result is fleas find it easy to hitch a ride inside on anyone coming inside. I still do all that I did before, diligent vacuuming, combing Annie and Orphée but using the topical medication did make a big difference last summer.

My suggestions to everyone facing summer with pets:
  • Purchase only topical medication prescribed by your veterinarian.
  • Make sure to follow all instructions exactly as written.
  • Observe your pets for any reactions and contact your veterinarian with any concerns.
Do all this and have a happy fun-filled, flea-free spring and summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment