Translate

Monday, September 15, 2014

SOME THOUGHTS ON FEEDING DOGS AND CATS

For some pet parents feeding can be an uphill battle. Some pets like my Orphée will eat the same item day after day others like Annie are more challenging. Annie prefers more variety necessitating a change every few days.

Actually I worry more about Orphée because he will only eat one brand of wet food in one specific flavor and one brand dry in several flavors. The wet food is high end but the dry is a bargain brand that I've thankfully been able to wean him off. I'm hopeful Orph will one day eat real food but so far he isn't as adventurous as Buddy had been. 

That's not to say I don't worry about what I'm feeding Annie. My main concern with Annie is that I'm not inadvertently feeding her an unbalanced diet or not providing all the essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals she needs.  I add two freeze-dried raw patties to each home-cooked meal. In addition I add cranberry powder three times a week and Glucosamine daily on her doctor's recommendation. Occasionally I add a teaspoon of healthy powder (the recipe is in Dr. Pitcairn's book).

By home cooking and feeding organic you will avoid chemical preservatives and food dyes. Our dogs and cats can get inflammation and digestive problems from the following items not found in their natural diets so avoid them.

Soy
Corn (and all types of corn syrup)
Wheat
Potato, if the potato is green under the skin (not sweet potato)
Peanut butter
Sugar
Molasses
Sugar-free Sweeteners
Alfalfa
Sorghum

I make Annie peanut butter treats as well as allow her an occasional lick of peanut butter or a few raw peanuts. The amount is always very limited and the treats are made with natural peanut butter low in both sodium and sugar. Once in awhile I also give Annie potato but I'm careful to check for that telltale greenness under the skin.

In my humble opinion, this is a good starting point in exercising more control over the quality of your furry family member(s) food.

Mom's a good cook. I'm just a picky eater.
Food's Food - just open that can and give me my breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment