Translate

Sunday, January 12, 2014

SAVING MONEY

It is the beginning of a new year and I'm sure everyone's thoughts turn to saving money. Last year I did mention tackling this subject soon. While straightening up my pet cupboard prior to assessing what food I needed for Annie and Orphée, I decided to take stock of their medicines, supplements, etc. when I came across a tube of Laxatone gel for the elimination and prevention of hairballs.

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not saying this isn't a good product - it certainly does the job. After putting it in Orphée's food for awhile he did bring up a good-sized hairball that had produced a whole lot of unproductive hacking and coughing before using Laxatone.

Will I buy this product in the future? The answer to that question is no. Why you ask?  The Laxatone cost me $11.00 for a 4.25 oz (120.5 g) tube. If I keep Orphée on a regular schedule of brushing to eliminate excess hair and include olive oil in his meals I will effectively fight hairballs without the extra cost.

The Laxatone contains White petrolatum USP, light mineral oil NF, corn and malt syrup, soybean oil, molasses and a bunch of other ingredients and needs to be picked up at the vet's office. At the moment you can find it on Amazon for $6.05 that's quite a difference.

So what am I saying here?  It's simple if you need to purchase this product and are very careful shopping online you can purchase it there. Uncomfortable purchasing from online sources, buy it at the vet or go the simpler route of purchasing a holistic vet book (or check one out of your local library) then pick an appropriate oil (olive, soybean, whatever) figure out an appropriate amount for your cat and go from there. Better yet you can determine what store-bought oil your veterinarian recommends by discussing it with him (or her).

Remember there are generally multiple means to an end so do your best to find the most cost-effective way to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment