Translate

Sunday, September 2, 2012

ANOTHER MONTH GONE BY...

It's the second day of the month again and Buddy is gone five months now. It's odd that I will attend the TNR class this week. Five months ago I would never have considered doing so.

We are getting closer to autumn, summer is winding down. The days are still hot but the nights are slowly lengthening and I remember when we took Buddy in. It was Thanksgiving Week 2001. The weather was terrible, rainy and damp. Buddy looked too thin, dirty and possibly sick. It was apparent that whomever he belonged to no longer cared for him. We saw him all hours of the day and night. I would find  him on my back porch at 5AM sitting in the halo of the security light, staring at my back door wanting to come in.

A far cry from the lazy summer days he spent with us in our back yard just hanging out while we gardened or relaxed. Artie would give him food as we did for all the strays but we knew Buddy belonged to someone - he very rarely ate preferring to just stay with us in companionable silence. He would come and go as he pleased and he was never around at night. Then fall was coming on and Buddy's situation had changed. We saw him all the time and he stayed for meals. 

By Thanksgiving week we knew if we didn't take Buddy in he wouldn't survive the coming winter. So we rescued him from a horrible end and ten years went by all too fast. I miss him terribly and though I'll be taking care of seven cats it won't be the same because none of them are Buddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment